Application / Inspection Areas


Interested in becoming a licensed food establishment? Here’s important information you’ll need to know.

Applying for a Permit

No person shall operate a (food) establishment without a valid permit which sets forth the types of operation occurring within the establishment. Food establishments must be in compliance with the Nebraska Food Code. Food processing plants must comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food found in 21 C.F.R. part 110.

Application for a permit must be obtained through the food inspector in your area. They will conduct an initial inspection of the facility prior to licensing. Please review the area map for the inspector in your area.

Each application shall include the:

  • applicant's full name
  • mailing address
  • names and addresses of any partners, members, or corporate officers
  • name and address of the person authorized by the applicant to receive the notices and orders of the Department as provided in the Nebraska Pure Food Act,
  • whether the applicant is an individual, partnership, LLC, corporation, or other legal entity,
  • location and type of proposed establishment or operation
  • signature of the applicant

Application for a permit shall be made prior to the operation of a food establishment, food processing plant, or salvage operation.

The application shall be accompanied by an initial permit fee and an initial inspection fee in the same amount as the annual inspection fee, if inspections are required to be done by the Department.

Inspections MUST take place prior to a food establishment operating. If the food establishment, food processing plant, or salvage operation has been in operation prior to applying for a permit, the applicant shall pay an additional fee of $60.

Food permits are non-transferable to any other person or location. Any permit issued lapses automatically upon change of ownership or location. For changes, please contact your food inspector.

Annual Inspection Fee Renewals (fees due each year for permitting)

Permits are to be renewed by August 1 of each year, regardless of when the permit was obtained.

The director shall set the initial permit fee and the annual inspection fees on or before July 1 of each fiscal year. The Director may raise or lower the fees each year.

Click here to view frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding the Food Establishment Inspection Fee.

Additional Resources for Commercial Processors

A commercial processor, when first engaging in the manufacture, processing, or packing of acidified foods (AF) or low-acid canned Foods (LACF) must register and file with FDA. For more information regarding FDA requirements, click here.

To register as a commercial processor per bioterrorism law requirements, click here.

Inspector Areas & Food Inspector Lookup

Open Interactive Food Inspector App

Foods Program Manager: Caitlyn Andrews, 402-471-2537